Sunday, September 12, 2010

I will never again be afraid...

I am SO ready to start week 3.  This feeling is definitely a product of me having slept through this entire weekend (aside from going to bat with a cop...how exciting! More on that later...) but it is also because this week I got to see my first real scalping, that's right...in person!

We were sitting in Civ Pro, praying as we normally do that the professor wouldn't call on us because it was 8:00am and we were still waking up to the day.  The poor soul who he did call on was such a good sport but then again how good of a sport can you really be when you're having your scalp ripped off like an orange peel for an audience of 90 other people?  I don't even remember the question that he asked her, something simple about the procedural history of a case but immediately upon diving into her answer she started saying the wrong things.  Instead of letting her finish her thoughts, because he has no time for such things, he interrupted her every few words.  Standard procedure.  However this time when he tried to interrupt her not only did she keep talking...she repeated the word he interrupted her on about 15 times in a row like a nervous tick!  And she laughed!  In his thousands of years of teaching Civ Pro to idiot first year law students the professor has probably seen and heard it all so this didn't really catch her off guard.  Each incorrect answer became more and more incorrect...she'd answer a question, he'd passive aggressively ask her one in return that proved her wrong, she'd answer that one wrong again.  Finally when she started on another repetition of the word trial trial trial trial trial trial the professor interrupted her, not with another question, but by saying "Did you even do the reading reading reading reading reading reading reading reading?"  This was the point where people craned as far as they could to see if she'd begun crying yet.  Finally, mercifully, he called on "co-counsel," a girl who like the rest of us had been waiting in angst for him to just call on ANYONE ELSE who could've quickly and correctly answered his questions, which she did.

I will never again, in Civil Procedure or in any other class, be as nervous as I used to be about getting cold called in a class.  People say the professor can smell fear.  So, the key will be to exude so much confidence that it drives him away like a mosquito from deet.

I loved this weekend, partially because I got so much accomplished on the sleeping and studying front.  However a girl has to get out on the town and let loose every once in a while so my Saturday night found me making new friends at Giblins Pub to watch Eli play some music.  My party animal self had 2 little Stella Artois over the course of 4 hours, hardly enough to warrant worry over driving home at the end of the night.  Apparently that is where my conscience and I go our separate ways.  As I slowly and carefully pulled out of the parking lot and up to my first stop sign I noticed someone a block ahead of me has been pulled over.  "Sucks for you, dork!" I thought as I came to a COMPLETE stop so I wouldn't be the next one to fell the swift hand of justice on my right buttcheek.  UNSUCCESSFUL.  Immediately when I pulled away from my stop sign the lights went up and I was pulled over by this man:


Apparently according to Officer Scruffykins, I'd "blown RIGHT through that stop sign!"  He'd had to "slam on his breaks so as not to hit me!"  I was so excited when he let that crap out of his mouth...my newborn lawyer mind jumped into action and was just DYING to be let loose to massacre this guy.  Needless to say I got out of the ticket after making him look like the jackass he was, only to drive away and see the rest of the Carlsbad-at-midnight scene.  It was as though someone had hid easter eggs and a huge group of children had frolicked off to find them...except instead of frolicking children it was smelly cops in police cars and instead of easter eggs it was innocent, GOOD SAFE drivers!  Well...maybe.  I did make friends with a man named "Will" who consumed 3 beers and 2 shots in 2 hours before my very eyes.

Moral of the story is, I wish cops weren't so bored in Carlsbad, and I will continue enjoying my weekends much more than I ever have before.  I know this week will just fly by and I'm definitely going to try and put up pictures this Friday night from the Farmer's Market I have coming up!  Yay fresh produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment